Monday 27 April 2009

Nakey and stuff!

As I type this, I am feeling particularly tired and I have a headache, so this could be quite crap!

I've had an interesting couple of days staying in Narita. Yesterday we had a well deserved lazy morning and then made out way to Folklore Village. It's an Edo style village in every way possible, with traditional crafts and experiences. I managed to find some trees with their last few blossom petals - so lucky! I decorated a candle (more fun than it sounds) and tried on some geta. Of course they had to be men's geta, and I got into quite a sulk about that as women's geta are so much prettier. Booo!

Posing with blossoms.

Some geta.

Damn clown feet...

Making a candle -never done that before! :/ Lol!

We didn't have as much time to enjoy the village as we had hoped (lazy mornings you see -shite!), so we are going back at least once more to experience things such as tea ceremony and kimono wearing. I can't wait, they looked so much fun!

Today we went to see Yuki's mother Junko (now 'Mama' to me) practise with her music group. She sings beautifully. Also in the group were another singer, two shamisen players and the only male was the sensei, who played a Japanese flute. They played a couple of songs just for myself and Yuki (the only guests), and, despite never playing it together before, had a go at 'Sakura Sakura' one of my most favourite songs of all time (Yep, it's right up there with 'Their Law' by The Prodigy!), after Yuki told them how much I loved it. During a break I was allowed to try and play the shamisen, something I have wanted to learn to play for years. I was hoping to have this incredible past life experience as soon as I touched it, and, even if I couldn't play it well, be able to make it sound somewhat beautiful. I didn't. It wasn't easy, there was no magical moment and my minimal guitar experience did not help! Still, a stack of fun though! Then I tried the flute, no, scratch that, I blew a raspberry into a wooden stick. Though I do feel better for being told that it takes most people over a year to make any sound and 8 years to play well! That made me respect the sensei even more!

Junko's friends playing shamisen.

After this we went on to the local onsen. One of my most favourite things about Japan is the onsen. A scary idea to most Westerners (basically getting naked in baths with strangers), but so much fun and so, So, SO relaxing!

Myself and Yuki at the onsen, being nakey!

On the way back I saw the suicide pond. I will be going again with my 'proper camera' to get some photos for the book I'm working on. It is wonderfully creepy yet calm area, very old, very wise and spiritual. Some parts are straight out of Mononoke Hime (Ghibli film -WATCH IT!), there are all these little hills dotted around, they are actually burial mounds, you almost expect to see little kodomo sitting on branches, silently watching. I loved it there, I can't wait to go back and take some proper photos.

Tomorrow we are going back to Tokyo, I have to try very hard not to spend any money -boooo. :(

Will blog again soon!

1 comment:

  1. Natalie, set up a Skype call for 0900 our time tomorrow (Saturday) - that's 5.00pm Tokyo time.
    3D

    ReplyDelete